Thursday, December 07, 2006

Five POSITIVE ideas...

I heard from a regular reader the other day. In a very loving tone he said: "All you do is bitch and moan, bitch and moan, bitch and moan".

I know, I know. Well, this blog is the outlet for my evangelically incorrect rants - so you're right. My readers tend to get the brunt of my criticism. But, I understand where my reader is coming from, and I've mulled it over. I'm going to start snapping myself with my WWJD bracelet when I start getting too critical a spirit and remind myself to look for solutions as well as problems.

I'm turning over a new fig-leaf (don't peek - and if you do - don't laugh). Here are a couple of positive ideas for our local Evangelical churches:
  1. Instead of thronging to the church's coffee bar - flood the Starbucks or coffee shop down the street an hour before church each week. Tip the baristas well. Make them wonder what the deal is. Create a buzz (caffeinated or not). What a great opportunity to witness. Isn't that what we're supposed to be doing?
  2. Reach out to the local artist community. Turn your lobby into a gallery. Display works. Have a reception for the artists. Interview them and love them. The church might learn that creativity is a part of Christ-like-ness and the artists might find that creativity is rooted Christ, the creator.
  3. Better yet, make a mission of thronging to a local gallery opening, community theater show, coffee house concert. Instead of trying to compete from inside the church walls, commission believers to congregate and co-mingle outside the church walls. Again, wasn't this Jesus' intent when he said, "go"?
  4. Produce a play. It doesn't have to be a tacky, smarmy Christian play. It could be a good play about relationships - community - or a social issue. Use it as a springboard for discussions and conversation - an entre to a message about Jesus' response.
  5. Instead of building a larger, more expensive Evangelical fortress, use resources to build up the community. Sponsor a little league team (and provide them with treats after each game), help build a community center, work with the local government to take care of needy families, offer an army of volunteers to clean up after the local parade or community festival. I think that's what Jesus had in mind when he called us to be light and "a city on a hill".
[snap, snap, snap] Whew. I feel better now.

Technorati Tags:

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, Blogger Mark True said...

Awesome (he said, again lovingly :))

That's the guy I know...and those are brilliant ideas that a newbie like me can sink my teeth into. That is so "you". Thanks for snapping.

 
At 4:34 AM, Blogger Christopher Warren said...

Nice post.

I wonder if you have read The Shaping Of Things To Come by Frost and Hirsch.

Great ideas, I will be back to read more musings and thoughts.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Voice in the Wilderness said...

Thanks, both of you.

Mark, I can't promise you that I won't go off - but I'll try and keep things balanced. In the timeless words of Mr. Miyagi: "Must learn balance - Daniel-san."

Chris, I haven't read it, but will look into it. I'm interested why you brought it up. Care to share?

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's best to live by the words of my Grandpa Spec (and countless other parents and grandparents):

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Paige said...

'If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.' A cartoon character named Thumper in a 1942 Disney movie.

'To find yourself, think for yourself.' Socrates 470-399 B.C.

You choose...

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger unmuzzled said...

Ya its good to be positive of coarse, but don't forget why you are anonymous. Probably the same reason I am -- To get it off your chest . Besides I love the cynical you we all have to poke fun sometimes. Obviously you are not like that all the time probably not even most of the time. right? So don't worry let your frustration out here. Those of us who are feeling the same things need the laugh. Hey anyway your readers are your readers for a reason.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I just found your blog and love it so far (only read 2 posts though).

I hate the churchyness of our churches and wonder how counterproductive we are to the gospel by all the middle-class American Christian crap we go through.

Thanks,
Jim

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh..I just discovered your blog and do I love it!!! You are a voice after my own heart and life I might add. I have been a Pastor's wife for over 30 years and all I can say is ..Preach on brother! People who find you negative are the same people who we have been putting up with for years in the churches that are a royal pain in the touche'.Pardon my French. I hope you keep "going off" for a long, long time.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,

My name is Rev Robert Wright, Editor for Christian.com, a social network made specifically for Christians, by Christians. We embarked on this endeavor to offer the entire Christian community an outlet to join together and better spread the good word of Christianity. Christian.com has many great features like Christian TV, prayer requests, finding a church, receiving church updates and advice. We have emailed you to collaborate with you and your blog to help spread the good word of Christianity. I look forward to your response regarding this matter. Thanks!


Rev. Robert Wright
rev.robertwright@gmail.com
www.christian.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home