Friday, March 24, 2006

Legalism Reaches New High (temperature)


Old Thermometer
Originally uploaded by anjepani.

My good friend recently sent me an article from the Chronicle of Higher Education about Pensacola Christian College in Florida. He asked if I'd heard about it, and I had. I mean, I went to a strict Bible College, but this place takes Christian legalism to a whole new level.

When another friend of mine went to PCC for a campus visit, he was told that students could not sit in a chair that had been previously occupied by a member of the opposite sex until the chair cooled to room temperature. They were apparently afraid that the body heat absorbed by the previous occupant would stimulate the lust of the flesh.

You know, sometimes the legalistic rule only serves to promote the perversity it's trying to avoid. I mean, seriously, who would have thought of getting off on "body heat stimulated chair-hopping" before they heard the silly rule? Is this a huge issue? Do teenagers regularly run around getting their jollies by waiting for members of the opposite sex to get up from a chair so they can quickly jump on? How do I know when the chair reaches room temperature? Are students issued thermometers to check?

Whoever thought up that rule has the real perversity issues, not the poor, homone-boiling students.

One more question: Is it only the opposite sex? What if I'm tempted by homosexual body heat in chairs? Hmmmm...they probably didn't think of that. Time to amend the rule before you get accused of being too liberal in your body heat stimulated chair-hopping policies and lose alumni funding!



Technorati Tags:
, , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same here...I went there for 4 1/2 years and never heard of anything so ridiculous. I appreciated most of the "male/female" rules. It helped me focus on my studies and I liked not having to worry about my roommates having someone sleep over or other such things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home