Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Preaching @ the Colon of the Body of Christ

Sunday I preached at this little community church. There were about 15-20 people there. If you take out the four mentally challenged guys from the local rehab community, the demographic was pretty much old and pudgy. The evanglical liturgy was in place (announcements, song, song, song, prayer, offering, song, scripture, sermon, song, benediction), but they sang really old choruses and a few old hymns about not using bad language. Damn, they were sure nice people though.

After the service, the old guy who invited me to preach said, "We take in all the people that no one else wants and just love 'em." He had a smile on his face and sparkle in his eye. Basically, he was saying that they were the colon on the body of Christ - the part of the body Paul talked about in Corinthians that you kind of want to hide.

After the service I drove across town to my home church. I pulled into the mega-lot jammed with so many mini-vans and SUVs that I had a hard time seeing around them to find a spot. I walked in with the crowd of well-dressed, perfect looking people, walked by the Christian Coffee bar and into the multi-million dollar sanctuary where the masses sang the latest, greatest chorus from the most recent product of contemporary Christian marketing.

I sat there for five minutes and decided to go home. I had a headache.

Technorati Tags:
, , , ,

1 Comments:

At 7:26 AM, Blogger Andrew said...

Are you sure it was the little country church that was the colon?

AC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home